An easy to make potato casserole, ideal for buffets or when you want to indulge in some cheesy carbohydrate goodness. Can be made ahead and frozen. Just be sure to defrost before baking. Sorry, this is soooo not low fat! Lose clothing recommended.
- Three large white potatoes (about three to four cups diced)
- 1 cup gluten free condensed mushroom soup mix (see my blog for recipe)
- 1 cup sour cream (low fat preferred - if not, regular is ok)
- 1 cup shredded strong cheddar cheese
- 1-2 large shallots, finely chopped
- 4 rashers of bacon (cooked, drained and roughly chopped)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan (for topping)
Peel potatoes and chop into very small cubes - about half the size of a dice. Microwave for about two minutes to par-cook. Don't overcook or you will be left with a mushy mess!
In a bowl, mix together remaining ingredients (except parmesan). Add potatoes and mix well. Season to taste. Place in an oven proof casserole dish, sprinkle with half the parmesan and top with loose fitting tin foil. Bake in a 350C/180F oven between an hour and an hour and a half. Once half way done, remove foil and add remaining parmesan. Potatoes should be cooked through and not crunchy. Let sit for about 10 minutes to set and serve.